I have been keeping chickens for just over twelve months. During this time I have really enjoyed sharing my garden with them although at times I have been know to curse them.
This is quickly followed by a second. (The camouflage didn’t help, I still saw her)
- Small plants can be trampled or dug up when they are scratching around.
- They will try to eat most plants.
- They got into my compost heap at the start of the year and spread it over the lawn looking for worms and bugs.
- Using a hoe will quickly attract them. making weeding a challenge.
So why keep chickens?
- They lay eggs.
- If contained to an empty border they will root out all the bugs and a lot of the weed seeds.
- The manure makes a brilliant activator for your compost heap.
- They are characters and having them following you around the garden nosing into what ever you are doing is a joy. Most of the time.