I like to write, I love to garden and I work in IT so producing a blog should be straight forward; shouldn’t it? As you can see from the sporadic nature of my postings I have struggled. In fact my latest absence is nearly three years. I guess that counts as a complete stop. What makes me think it will be different this time?
With work commitments and the inclement weather I spent very little time in the garden last year and it shows. Excuses, excuses, I know. The garden is completely over grown. The weeds have become established. In fact I now have several large nettle beds waiting to sprout. They’re for the butterflies. Honest!
So what will it take to get it right this time?
- Writing consistently. It’s no good writing once a year. What sort of record is it if there are huge gaps? If other people do start reading my blog (You never know!) Some may even come back. Then they will expect to see new content each time they visit.
- Learn to write good content. It’s no good writing often if the quality of the content is poor or is poorly written. I am not a writer I will have to learn as I go.
- Read and comment on other blogs. Learn from them.
Why do I want to blog?
- To keep a record of progress in my garden.
This is my primary purpose. To be able to look back and see what I was doing a month, year ago and how the garden looked.
- To help me remember what I planted when and what I learned as I went along.
- To have fun with a hobby that doesn’t involve drinking large quantities of beer brewed by Belgian monks and then falling over. I’m getting too old for that. The falling over that is.
What will I do different this time?
- Time Management. Set time aside to write and to be in the garden.
- Plan. Know what I am writing about and when. Anything that can be written ahead of time so that I have a back log of articles ready for release.
When will I consider it a success?
- Blogged consistently for over twelve months.
- Start to receive comments on every post.
- Had another site link to mine.
Writing a blog sounds easy. Doesn’t it?
Will I succeed? Well they say only two things are certain in life, death and taxes. But you can be assured if I fail again I will have thought of a better excuse than last time.
I guess only time will tell.
Here we go….